So you’re selling your car?
Here’s all you need to know about how to prepare your vehicle for the all-important sale.
Clean Your Car Properly
Cleaning your car can make something that looked like it was ready for the scrapyard something to marvel at. Here are some useful tips on how to clean your car efficiently.
- Wash your car with a jet wash fist and use high quality shampoo and cloths to clean and rinse the car a few times.
- Make sure you use a specified car mitt rather than a sponge as sponges can cause the paint to scratch and give a dull finish.
- Make sure you get into all the door fittings, inside the bonnet, and around the wipers (don’t miss out any small details)
- Touch up stone chips and scratches in the paintwork using a polish such as T-Cut.
- Don’t forget to thoroughly clean the wheels!
- Use a damp cloth to remove dust from the engine bay and brush out leaves from air vents.
- Remove rubbish and clutter from the interior then hoover, polish and clean with specialist cleaners.
- Clean all the windows inside and out.
Once you’ve cleaned your car properly, take photos of your car from every angle, inside and out.
Fix any faults, so you can get a better price.
Fixing mechanical and cosmetic faults before selling the car can make it worth more money to a buyer. They see a car that needs no work and is ready to go, they are willing to pay what you set.
Gather All the Paperwork
Make sure you have all the necessary paperwork including full service records and receipts for work in chronological order. The buyer wants to see that the car has been well looked after.
It is important you have the V5C registration document in your name and with your current address in order for a sale to be carried out.